Linux Operating System
After that Unix, The history of Linux began in 1991 as small project, one of the student from university of Helsinki in Finland, named Linus Torvalds gets lead to developing that Linux as operating system with the help of number of volunteers and employees of companies from all over the world and he finally introduce the new free operating system kernel. Since then, the Linux kernel has been marked by constant growth throughout its history. Linux is popular open source multi-user, multitasking and portable operating system.
‘Operating System’ is a master control program or a software program which monitors and manages the internal function of computer system and accepts the instructions from user in specific format understand it and according to instruction computer executes them. It acts as a interface between user and computer system.
Features of Linux
Following are the some important highlighted features of Linux Operating System
- Multi user capability – Windows is a single-user OS but it allows the creation of multiple users and the switching of one to the other too but only one user allows at same time.
Whereas Linux O.S is capable to handle multiple users at a same time that means multiple users can access system resources like memory, RAM(Random Access Memory), application programs at same time.
- Multitasking Capability – Linux will support to multitasking means multiple tasks or application can run at same time.
- Multi platform – Multi platform means software can be directly run on any platform without any special requirements. Linus kernel and application program will help to run on any kind of platform.
- Open Source – Linux operating system is collaboratively developed by few volunteers and employees of companies from all over the world. This O.S. is free to use and anyone has freedom to contribute in its development.
- Hierarchical File System– Linux provides a standard file structure in which system files and user files are arranged. Here files can grow dynamically and each file have access permission such as read, write and execute.
- Shell – Linux provides a special interpreter program which can be used to execute commands of the operating system. It can be used to do various types of operations.
- Security – Security in Linux O.S. provided by assign login name and password to individual user. At the file level there are read, write, execute permission given which controls who can access a file, who can modify it and who can execute it. Lastly, there is a file encryption that is this utility encodes your file into an unreadable format so that if someone successes to open it, your secretes in terms of file and data are safe, if you want to read it then u can always decrypt those files or data.
- Communication – The communication between fellow user can be within network of single main computer between 2 or more such computer network to exchange mail, data, programs and also passing information and messages to and fro.
- Linux is fast, free and easy to use Operating System